Spicy & Healthy Black Bean Burgers are quite yummy! These veggie patties were also more filling and don’t contain all of those fillers you get in the store bought brands. The rolled oats are quite delish and add to the heartiness of the flavor.
This was my first time making a veggie burger and it won’t be my last at all! I topped mine with some left over caramelized onions and portobello mushrooms with a side of kale! Yum!
Now, I do love the ingredients in the original recipe from spoonforkbacon.com, but I tweaked the recipe a bit to match my palate. Feel free to add or remove some ingredients as you make your veggie burgers, too.
I added some lime and cilantro which adds to the flavor of the black beans. Yum!
*This recipe does make 4 patties. I only cooked one and wrapped the others in plastic wrap and placed them in the fridge. I am hoping to cook them and freeze them for future use to see how that idea turns out!
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped or 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno from a jar
- 3 garlic cloves or 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 ear yellow corn, kernels and milk removed from husk or 1 (8.5 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper *Depends on how HOT you want your patties
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs *I used plain Panko Bread Crumbs
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tablespoon cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Place onion, jalapeno and garlic in a food processor and pulse 5 or 6 times.
2. Add beans, oats, corn, green onion, cumin, curry powder, and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper and pulse 8 times. Scrape downs sides of the bowl and pulse an additional 5 to 8 times (depending on desired texture).
3. Place mixture into a mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
4. Remove chilled mixture from refrigerator and stir in breadcrumbs. Adjust seasonings.
5. Pour oil into a heavy bottom skillet and place over medium. Form mixture into four equal patties. Cook patties for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until a crust develops and the patties are heated through.
6. Remove patties from heat and place onto burger buns. Assemble burger with toppings and condiments of your choice and serve.
Recipe adapted from spoonforkbacon.com