Now these really aren’t burgers because they are made out of cannellini beans, but it sounds better to call them burgers. So, while I was checking on my zucchini in the culinary coop the other day, I thought..wow, herbs in a bean burger would be yummy. And that’s how this whole idea for Italian Bean Burgers got created.
You can make these vegan or vegetarian by removing or adding the cheese which is totally up to you. These are yummy and I cooked the whole batch and wrapped the ones I didn’t eat in plastic wrap after they cooled and placed them in the freezer.
I topped this one with some sauce and some cheese and served it on a bed of cooked spinach and garnished it with some purple basil. It was bellismo!
*This recipe does make 4-5 patties. And…I actually made the mix the night before and then cooked them the next day. The oats seem to absorb the moisture and make the patties heartier.
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- few shakes red pepper flakes
- handful fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Place onion, red pepper, parsley, basil, lemon juice and garlic in a food processor and pulse 5 or 6 times.
2. Add beans, oats, and seasonings then pulse 8 times. Scrape downs sides of the bowl and pulse an additional 5 to 8 times (depending on desired texture).
3. Place mixture into a mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
4. Remove chilled mixture from refrigerator and stir in breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese if desired. Adjust seasonings and drizzle in some olive oil to smooth out the texture if it seems like it’s not sticking.
5. Pour oil into a heavy bottom skillet and place over medium heat. Form mixture into four to five equal patties. Cook patties for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until a crust develops and the patties are heated through.
6. Remove patties from heat and place onto burger buns. Assemble burger with toppings and condiments of your choice and serve.
- muzicabroasca likes this
- geminifive likes this
- dansoffthewall251 reblogged this from lovebakedinn
- nostorybook likes this
- gryfeathr likes this
- baronvonblitz reblogged this from lovebakedinn
- baronvonblitz likes this
- awolfshapedbullet likes this
- happyhealthycorinne reblogged this from thehalfassvegetarian
- happyhealthycorinne likes this
- thehalfassvegetarian likes this
- codependencies likes this
- geeky-n-fit reblogged this from thehalfassvegetarian
- thehalfassvegetarian reblogged this from lovebakedinn
- lovebakedinn posted this