Lemon & Lavender Pound Cake is one delicious sweet treat. The original recipe didn’t call for lemon, but when I saw a recipe for Lavender Pound Cake I knew I had to combine the two flavors. The berry compote is AMAZING on top of this pound cake making it a decadent delicious duo! I made my compote with blueberries and blackberries. Yum! The pound cake is moist and flavorful and NOT overpowered with lemon or lavender flavor.
I can’t wait to share this Lemon & Lavender Pound Cake with some of my friends. I think their taste buds are going to be happy. I also would like to try this pound cake in a trifle.
*Remember…get your lavender from an Herbs & Spice retailer and not from your house potpourri. There IS a difference.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- Juice & Zest of one lemon
- 2 cups berries of your choice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-5/8-inch loaf pans OR one bundt pan.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in medium-size bowl. Pulse 1/2 cup of the sugar with the lavender in a food processor until lavender is ground.
- In large bowl, beat butter, lavender-flavored sugar, remaining 1-1/2 cups sugar and vanilla until fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add juice and zest of one lemon and mix well.
- In small bowl, combine sour cream and milk. On low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture with sour cream mixture in 3 additions, beginning and ending with flour. Pour batter into pan(s); divide between greased and floured pans if making two loaves. * I make mine in a bundt pan.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 55 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool on rack 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pan(s) and let cool completely before serving.
- Berry Compote: Combine 1 cup of the berries, water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the rest of the berries and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring frequently. Serve compote warm over pound cake.
Lavender Pound Cake recipe adapted from Family Circle